October 8, 2011

#22 Ginebra San Miguel, Jaworski, and the PBA

I recently watched a classic game between Ginebra and Purefoods over a cable channel. And man i smiled remembering the days when I was a PBA fanatic.. a Ginebra die hard fan. I remember watching all the games on   still a black and white television, then later on a colored TV bought by a sibling. I would be really engrossed on the game and scared during the entire game that me and my sister pray, exchange sitting positions, dont move my feet, etc. (parang OCD hehe), so that Ginebra will win.

Ginebra was so popular at that time, and PBA too that every game is followed and championship game is an event like Pacquiao now. I remember one time on a Game 7 of a best-of-seven championship between Ginebra and Shell, and it was brownout in our barangay that we searched the city where there's power. A neighbor even setup a TV hooked to a car battery just to watch the game. I miss those times =)

And i miss these too:
- short shorts
- Billy Ray Bates and Michael Hackett
- There is a barker that anounces 3 points "Jaworski 3 points!" and fouls like these "Deliberate foul Jaworski", "Warning on Jaworski!", and "Jaworski, out fo the playing court!"
- and coin tossing


This is the 1991 Ginebra Shell Finale, where Ginebra gained the monicker "die-hard" team by coming from a 1-3 game deficit and still winning the series. Watch how passionate the fans were before. =)



And a feature of Ginebra legends in the show Rated K:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment using Blogger: