October 11, 2011

#28 The magic of washing machine

If you are reading this, chances are you already have a washing machine in your house. And better still you must have a kasambahay that does the laundry for you. Good on you! I still do my laundry today, ever since high school i think, when we were told to start doing our own laundry.



Well, I bought my own washing machine and Abenson had it delivered it yesterday. A month before that, i was manually doing my laundry for a month. For one because two of the laundry service in the building suck (i just moved in), the washing is not clean and overcompensates with fabric conditioner to make it maybe feel clean hehe. During this one month, it made me appreciate the wonder of this machine.

Aside from the blisters in  your hand, manually washing the laundry is hard labor and literally back breaking. It is also time consuming and has little productivity from the effort you put in. And do you know that 5 billion of the population in the world still doesn't have washing machines and still wash their clothes everyday? Maybe the women and mothers in the world would appreciate this better, as they usually are the one who does it for the family. Even the hardcore in the "green movement" who bikes to work, etc. will use electricity to wash their jeans and bedsheets hehe.

And so, instead washing my laundry now, at nagkukusot ng damit, I was able to write this post, check my emails, open up facebook and twitter, and doing something else at the same time as the washing machine is spinning on the background, and me sitting on this comfortable chair. =)

Thank you electricity. Thank you industrialization!

Here is a witty and funny discussion as Hans Rosling tries to prove that "washing machine" as one of the greatest invention of industrialization and as it turned his boring wash day into an intellectual day of reading. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment using Blogger: